As an expectant mother, you get the best of both worlds: natural, patient-directed care in a modern, innovative and supportive environment. We provide the benefit of the most advanced medical care available in Longmont in a comfortable, hotel-like environment.
Birthing Services with Tender Loving Care
The BirthPlace staff believes in patient and family centered care, focused on the whole person; mind, body and spirit. Longmont United Hospital have been providing the innovative concept of “Rooming In” for decades. This is where it is encouraged that newborns stay with mom instead of in the nursery.
Our private rooms are designed to keep you and your baby closed. Your baby remains with you in your room throughout your stay, a practice called “rooming – in.” If your baby needs a higher level of care and is unable to room-in, we minimize separation, as our NICU is only steps away from your room.
At Longmont United Hospital’s BirthPlace, you can rest assured you’re receiving the very best care, expertise, and services. We strive to enhance your birth experience and to include the entire family throughout the birthing process as they prepare to meet it’s newest member.
At The BirthPlace at Longmont United Hospital, we believe in patient and family centered care, focused on the whole person, mind, body and spirit.
- Birthing partners are encouraged to stay with mother and baby throughout their stay. A pull-out daybed is available in your room, and family and friends are always welcome to visit any time you wish.
- Baby's first bath will be given in your room, so you and your family can watch and participate.
- Each spacious, private rooms – with many offering airy mountain views; as well as private oversized Jacuzzi tubs, bathroom with shower and other homelike touches. Our rooms are designed to comfort and support new moms.
- You are also able to bring your own doula into the hospital for delivery support and aftercare.
We've taken great care to assure you and your baby are in the best of hands with expert caregivers who are committed to keeping mom and baby safe and healthy.
- Epidurals, nitrous oxide and pain medications are optional, but are always available at your request. The BirthPlace has dedicated, 24/7 coverage by our CRNA (Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist) team. The CRNA team is always at the ready to offer our various modalities of pain relief including nitrous oxide and epidural to support your birth wishes around pain management. The CRNA team is supported by an on-call anesthesiologist 24 hours a day.
- Should you require it, a surgical suite is available in The BirthPlace, ensuring the safest and most comfortable delivery possible.
- We support your choice to breastfeed your baby. Our certified lactation consultants are available during your stay and even after you go home. Our program has been awarded the prestigious Colorado Can Do 5! Breast Feeding Award for excellence in breastfeeding practices.
We are a community hospital dedicated to serving the needs of our community. We provide some of the best and most advanced medical care at The BirthPlace.
- OB/GYN Physicians: Our board-certified OB physicians are dedicated to ensuring your delivery is safe and healthy.
- Neonatal Nurse Practitioner: As the only hospital in the heart of Longmont with a dedicated, onsite neonatal nurse practitioner, moms can feel confident, if the need arises, that their newborns will be getting the best and most advanced newborn care during his or her stay.
- Certified Lactation Consultants: We want mother and baby to have breastfeeding success, if you choose to breastfeed. Our consultants will meet with you during and after your stay to ensure breastfeeding success.
- Doula Options: Your birthing experience is our number one priority. If you chose to have a doula for delivery support and aftercare, Longmont United Hospital welcomes your birthing plan request to bring your own personal doula.
- Spacious private rooms with all the conveniences, including many with views of the Front Range
- In-room, oversized Jacuzzi tubs for water births
- Daybeds in each room for the comfort of birth partners
- Comfortable, spacious family waiting areas with WiFi access
- Alternative pain management methods available, including nitrous oxide and epidural
- The option to have a midwife for delivery, or your own doula for support
- Breastfeeding coaching and support during, and after, your stay
- Birth and new parent classes to help moms, dads and family members prepare for birth, baby and beyond
- Lactation and breastfeeding support is provided to all new moms who want to breastfeed
- World-class obstetricians and midwives
- Dedicated C-section operating suites
- In-house Neonatal Nurse Practitioners available 24/7
- Level 2 NICU
Level II NICU
We've taken great care to assure mother and baby are in the best of hands with expert caregivers who are committed to keeping you both safe and healthy.
As a Level 2 NICU, our newborn nursery provides care for infants born at 34 weeks gestation and above with a neonatal nurse practitioner.
- Pediatricians and family medicine physicians provide family-centered care in the hours and days immediately after birth, including our pediatric hospitalists on call 24/7.
- Babies in our nursery can also receive care for common newborn conditions such as prematurity, hyperbilirubinemia (jaundice), hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), weight loss, circumcisions. breastfeeding challenges and other newborn health issues.
- OB physicians, family medicine doctors and respiratory therapists are in the hospital 24/7 and will provide neonatal resuscitation, stabilization and care to infants needing advanced medical care.
We want you to be successful every step of the way in your pregnancy journey, and beyond. With a variety of classes tailored to expecting parents, at The BirthPlace, you will get the support you need with a dedicated team.
Childbirth education classes at Longmont United Hospital include:
- Weekly Childbirth Education (4 evening sessions; $80/couple)
- Weekend Childbirth Education (2 sessions; $80/couple)
- Express Childbirth Education (1 evening session; $30)
- Private Childbirth Preparation
- Birthing Center Tours
- Infant CPR (1 session; $25 per person)
- Newborn Care
- And more
Certified Nurse Midwives (CNM) specialize in primary care for women and offer personalized care for pregnancy, labor and delivery and postpartum concerns. CNMs can assist with lactation and breastfeeding, infant care and aid in the healing process of the new mother.
CNMs are experts in their field with extensive training in both nursing and midwifery. To become certified, candidates must receive a specialized education from an accredited program and pass an intensive certification exam to receive their CNM title. CNMs spend a great deal of time completing this competitive and challenging program, which includes classroom studies, as well as experience in the hospital and community.
Choosing Midwife Delivery?
We are pleased to partner with Certified Nurse Midwives to care for you during your pregnancy and delivery.
To contact the Longmont office midwives, please call 303-315-0400.
Our pre-admission program is designed to make your hospital admission relaxed and worry free. A pre-admission appointment gives you the opportunity to talk with an experienced Birth Center nurse, share your birth preferences and ask questions about your upcoming birth experience. It's ideal to make your pre-admission appointment when you are approximately 31 weeks pregnant. Birth Center tours are not included during your appointment.
What to bring to your appointment:
- Insurance card
- Your questions
- Complete pre-admission form