Swingbed is a transitional unit for patients that no longer require acute care, but are not quite ready to return to their home. Our goal is to provide the necessary care through a collaborative team approach to help you get home as soon as possible.
Medicare established Swingbed to serve the needs of smaller hospitals and communities. Patients must qualify under federal regulations to be admitted into a swing-bed program. Prior to admission, they must have had a three night acute stay in the hospital and must be in need of a skilled service to help return to a previous functioning level.
24-hour nursing care services are provided to help rehabilitate from surgery, severe illnesses or accidents. It gives you time to heal and adjust before returning to everyday care.
Skilled nursing services
- Pain management
- Administration of medications for congestive heart
- Cardiac dysrhythmias
- Kidney and respiratory conditions
- IV feedings
- Application of dressings with prescription medications or sterile dressing changes
- Treatment of decubitus ulcers (Grade 3 or worse) or widespread skin disorder
- Management of post-operative wounds and drains, etc.
- Monitoring of vital signs
- Institution of bowel and bladder training, colostomy or ileostomy care in the early postoperative period in the presence of associated complications
- Teaching or training for self-administration of injectable medications, care of a recent colostomy or ileostomy, administration of insulin in newly diagnosed diabetic and diabetic diet and foot-care precautions.
- Physical therapy services may include bed and wheelchair mobility, transfers, tolerance to activity, balance, posture strengthening and training that allows improvement to the prior level of functioning whenever possible. Care is also provided post-orthopedic surgery (hip, knee, shoulder replacements) and post-stroke rehabilitation.
- Respiratory therapy services may include teaching or training in the self‐administration of medical gases and newly prescribed use of bi-pap/c-pap
- 24 hour nursing supervision
- Respiratory therapy
- Skin/wound/surgical care follow-up
- Physical Therapy