Whether you are having a routine screening, a biopsy or are facing a breast cancer diagnosis, our highly skilled and caring team of breast care experts offers compassionate and comprehensive care.
St. Anthony North Hospital uses 3D mammography and state-of-the-art digital imaging technology for mammograms. Digital technology provides higher quality images, lower doses of radiation and improved accuracy. 3D mammography or tomosynthesis creates a three-dimensional image of the breast tissue, enabling the radiologist to examine the breast tissue one layer at a time. This technology improves the detection of cancer by 40 percent and decreases false positives by 40%.
Breast surgical care
You will typically meet with a Centura Health Breast Care surgeon within a few days of your diagnosis to learn what the pathology reports and diagnostic tests revealed about your cancer and discuss the range of treatment options. The size and location of your cancer, lymph node involvement, genetic risk and whether you have a slow-growing or aggressive cancer will influence what type of surgery we recommend.
Breast surgical services at St. Anthony North Hospital may include:
- Axillary lymph node dissection
- Bilateral mastectomy
- Breast conservation and partial mastectomy surgery
- Mastectomy with immediate breast reconstruction surgery
- Modified radical mastectomy
- Placement of chemotherapy ports
- Prophylactic mastectomy for breast cancer prevention
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy
- Skin-sparing and nipple-sparing mastectomy
A genetic counselor’s role is to help you make informed decisions about your health care. Centura Health Breast Care offers the services of a certified genetic counselor to women diagnosed with breast cancer and for those who may be at high risk. A genetic counselor will evaluate your family history for the number and types of cancer in your family and, if a gene defect is suspected, can order testing to determine if you have a gene mutation that increases your risk for breast cancer or other forms of hereditary cancer.
Dedicated breast radiologists
Where you choose to have your mammogram matters, at St. Anthony North Hospital, our radiologists specialize in breast imaging. It’s all they do. That’s important because the accuracy of a mammogram depends in large part on the interpretation of the radiologist reviewing it. Every mammogram at St. Anthony North Hospital is reviewed by one of our fellowship trained, board-certified, dedicated radiologists. Their expertise translates into fewer unnecessary invasive procedures and earlier detection of breast cancer. If our radiologists suspect breast cancer, they will work closely with the Centura Health Breast Care team to confirm the diagnosis and initiate treatment.
A True Team
The diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer often requires the skills of many specialists. The Centura Health Breast Care team brings these specialists together for what we call a multi-disciplinary breast conference. You’ll have an entire team of experts from Centura Health Breast Care reviewing your care and providing expert opinions in order to provide you with most the advanced treatment plan.
You will never be alone through your cancer treatment. Our nurse navigator will be with you for your entire journey, from diagnosis and treatment to coping with side effects and life beyond cancer. Understanding that every woman’s situation is unique, you can be confident she will listen and do her best to support you by:
- Facilitating communication between your health care providers
- Providing ongoing emotional, spiritual and lifestyle support
- Providing education about outpatient therapy and local integrative health services
- Supplying family cancer education, nutrition, breast care and treatment resources
- Providing genetic counseling and fertility preservation referrals
- Connecting patients with local resources for wigs, head coverings and post-mastectomy products
- Presenting opportunities for attending local support groups
- Helping facilitate follow-up appointments